Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

Book Stats:

Reading Level: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format Reviewed: E-Book
Publisher: Pocket Books
Release Date: January 25, 2011

Series: Abby Sinclair #1

Source: Personal Purchase



The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares.

Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts. Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.


Why I read this book?: I saw a review for this book on Mindful Musings and decided that it was something that I wanted to try.

What I liked?: Abby Sinclair!  She's just full of awesome as well as piss and vinegar.  Abby is the TouchStone to the Protectorate and is suddenly put in charge when Moria, the Protectorate, goes missing.  I also enjoyed all the mystery that was included in the book.  When Moria goes missing more disappearances are brought to light AND THAT is when things get a little crazy. Oh and let's not forget all the humor that is through out this book as well.  I really enjoyed the host of secondary characters as well.  Especially Phineas, the horny little unicorn.

What I disliked?: I didn't really care for Brystion.  I don't know what it was exactly about him that I didn't like but it definitely had an impact on my overall feel for the book.  As a result of me not really liking Brystion, I really did "feel" the romance between Abby and Brystion.  I also didn't care for how Moria really let Abby down. I didn't really like how certain characters in the book treated Abby at the beginning of the book and then had a complete turn about at the end either.

Overall Impression:  I really enjoyed this book.  It's chock full of humor and mystery.  This book from what I can tell is classified as a Paranormal Romance but to me it read more like an Urban Fantasy.  It just didn't read like a PNR, if that makes sense at all.

Rating: Wait Until Payday!

Recommendation: The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan #1) by Kelly Gay

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really liked the second one too. I'm sorry you didn't care about some characters I hope your feelings will change with the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't into the whole "your human, you suck and must be punished" attitude that certain characters had toward Abby. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I can hardly wait to read the second book!

      Delete

Talk to me Goose.....

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them and will do my best to respond to your comments in a timely fashion.