Saturday, March 10, 2012

Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton (Play by Play #3)


Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)

Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton

Book Stats:

Reading Level: Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Format Reviewed: E-Book (251 pages)
Publisher: Penguin Group
Release Date: March 6, 2012

Series: Play by Play #3

Source: Personal Purchase






If you want to score, you have to get in the game...

The last thing Jenna Riley needs is more sports in her life. While her brothers are off being athletic superstars, she’s stuck running the family’s sports bar, whether she likes it or not. Then in walks pro hockey stud Tyler Anderson. As much as Jenna would like to go to the boards with him, she’s vowed to never fall for a jock—even one as hot as Ty.

Ty, intrigued by the beautiful bar owner, becomes a regular. He senses that Jenna wants to do something more with her life. And as he gains her trust, the passion between them grows, as does Ty’s insistence that Jenna should start living for herself. With his encouragement, Jenna starts to believe it, too…

But first, Jenna has to figure out what she wants, what she needs, who she loves, and if she has the passion and pride to take a shot at having it all—including Ty…
Why I read this book?:  I read the two books prior in this series and enjoyed them immensely.  This series has become an Automatic Purchase for me.

What I liked about this book?:  I really liked Tyler Anderson.  He's a professional Hockey player but he's so down to Earth it's almost unreal.  He's been hanging around the Riley families bar for months and is VERY attracted to Jenna Riley.  Mainly because Jenna is the type of woman that he is usually attracted to.  Jenna is also attracted to Tyler but because she has spent her whole life around sports, she doesn't want to be with someone who is into sports or plays sports.  Good thing Tyler doesn't take "No" for an answer!  I really enjoyed the connection between Ty and Jenna.  They each have there own demons to vanquish and it made this particular book that much better in my opinion.  I also enjoyed that there was a fair amount of humor as well.  I enjoy a good giggle every now and then when I'm reading. The characters from the 2 prior books all made appearances in this book as well as the introduction of Cole, the Riley's cousin who is the main character of the next book in the series.  The love scenes in this book were scorching hot (the sex on ice skates scene is a personal favorite) and plenty abundant as well.

What I didn't like about this book?: There were times I had a hard time connecting with Jenna.  She'd go into these "dark moments" and go from a like able character and transform into a character that I just couldn't stand.  Everyone has insecurities but I don't know many people who turn into a mean person intentionally. Another thing that I didn't really care for in this book was the over abundance (for me personally anyway) of sex in the book.  It started to feel like that was all that Ty and Jenna's relationship was based on for the most part.

Overall Impression?:  While not my favorite book in the series, it's still a really good book.  This is definitely a series that I will continue on with.

Rating: Wait Until Payday!

Recommendations:  The Perfect Play (Play by Play #1)
                                      Changing the Game (Play by Play #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me Goose.....

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them and will do my best to respond to your comments in a timely fashion.