Monday, March 19, 2012

The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay


The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)

The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay

Book Stats:

Reading Level: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format Reviewed: Mass Market Paperback
Publisher: Pocket Books
Release Date: November 24, 2009

Series: Charlie Madigan #1

Source: Personal book purchase



Atlanta: it's the promised city for the off-worlders, foreigners from the alternate dimensions of heaven-like Elysia and hell-like Charbydon. Some bring good works and miracles. And some bring unimaginable evil....
Charlie Madigan is a divorced mother of one, and a kick-ass cop trained to take down the toughest human and off-world criminals. She's recently returned from the dead after a brutal attack, an unexplained revival that has left her plagued by ruthless nightmares and random outbursts of strength that make doing her job for Atlanta P.D.'s Integration Task Force even harder. Since the Revelation, the criminal element in Underground Atlanta has grown, leaving Charlie and her partner Hank to keep the chaos to a dull roar. But now an insidious new danger is descending on her city with terrifying speed, threatening innocent lives: a deadly, off-world narcotic known as ash. Charlie is determined to uncover the source of ash before it targets another victim -- but can she protect those she loves from a force more powerful than heaven and hell combined?
Why I read this book?: I wanted to broaden my horizons and try reading Urban Fantasy.  I saw the cover for this book on Goodreads and really liked it.  Then I read the synopsis and I was hooked.

What I liked?: Charlie!  Charlie Madigan is the epitome of kick-ass heroine!  She's a single mom who doesn't take any crap off of anyone...including her partner Hank, who happens to be a siren.  The world that the author created in The Better Part of Darkness in my opinion is just chock full of AWESOME. Since this is my first adult Urban Fantasy series ever, AWESOME is a good thing.  I really thought that part of the storyline where Charlie was killed and then brought back to life was very interesting and worked well into the plot of the book.  This book is so full of action that it was VERY difficult for me to put down.  I had to know what was going to happen next.  Besides Charlie, there is a host of characters that bring a vibrancy to the book, even the bad guys, who knew!?  I think the most interesting part of the whole book for me was that there was ABSOLUTELY NO romance what-so-ever.  Since I've been reading a fair amount of romance lately this was a refreshing sight.

What I disliked?: The only thing that I can come up with at this time is that it took me forever to find this series much less become interested in this genre.

Overall Impression: CHOCK FULL OF AWESOME!  Thank goodness I have the other 2 books in my possession as well.

Rating: Hand Over The Paycheck!

Recommendation: If you haven't read any Urban Fantasy and are looking to get into the genre I highly recommend this book.  It's full of action, engaging characters and there is a fair amount of humor as well.  READ THIS BOOK NOW!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, this series is like you say Awesome!!! I can't wait to read the fourth. I hope you'll enjoy the others as well. great review!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me Goose.....

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them and will do my best to respond to your comments in a timely fashion.