Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Hops February 24, 2012


Q: Activity!!! Take a picture or describe where you love to read the most…

Well my camera is currently not anywhere near me so I guess I'm going to go the "describe" route.  Personally, I LOVE to read in bed.  There are days, especially my days off, where I just don't want to get out of bed and spend a good chunk of the day under the covers with a good book.  My second favorite place to read, especially in the winter months when it's so cold, is in a nice warm bath (TMI?).  I'm all about keeping it real and so there it is out in cyber-space.  I like to read while taking a bath.


TGIF is hosted by GReads!.


This Friday's Question: 

Required Reading: Which book from your school days 
do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?

The book that I remember most from my school days that enjoyed reading so much that I continue to read it these days is Where The Red Fern Grows.  I remember my fourth grade teacher reading this book to us out loud in class and from that day forward I've been hooked.  The books that have been published recently that I would love to see as required reading in schools today are Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympian's series and the spin off series Hero's of Olympus.  In High School I took a class called Myths and Legends and LOVED it.  I think especially since so many of the new books that are coming out, especially in YA, are trending toward being dystopian or spin offs of a Myth or Legend that learning about said Myths and Legends is a great idea.  And as an added bonus these series are seriously fun right?!
Where the Red Fern GrowsThe Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, #1)

Activity on the Blog:

(Review) Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent
(Review) Chasin' Eight by Lorelei James

Giveaways:


10 comments:

  1. Those days off when I'm alone in the house are my absolute favorite. I can pass the morning away reading before I even have to think about getting up and doing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!? The other day I sat down to read for about 30 minutes and when I looked at my clock again it was 2 hours later. LOVE my days off!

      Delete
  2. Yaay, we both picked Where the Red Fern Grows. lol. You know, I never take baths, I am a shower girl. But if I ever did take a bath I think reading a book would be fun to do at the same time. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curling up in the bed to read, as well :) It's so far the most popular, judging by all the posts I've read :)
    And I really liked your idea about introducing myths and legends! It seems really interesting, especially at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, Percy Jackson would be awesome read for younger kids! :) And a little older, too, since I love it, and my husband loves it, and he's already 33..! :D

    I just wish we'd had something like your Myths and Legends class, but no way! All you could pick was French, German or advanced math. So nothing for me :/

    Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by! :)

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower!

    Reading in bed is great :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/02/follow-friday_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. MEE TOO!!! I am in the bed on a day of with a book or two. God forbid the weather is not perfect, I will never ever leave. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought about suggesting Riordan for the school curriculum, but now that you've mentioned it, I think it'd be a wonderful idea! His books are imaginative and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to Where The Red Fern Grows in the car on a family trip and remember crying my eyes out. It was so good. And I love both of Rick Riordan's series. I can't wait for The Mark of Athena. I'm going to preorder it as soon as they put up the kindle edition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHere the red fern grows totally broke my heart! I loved I also when i read if for school. Great choices :) I still need to read the percy jackson books. I have them all autographed :) The author came to the Borders store where I worked around a year or so ago and becauseI worked there I got to get all my books signed :) (I bought every one in hard cover because he was coming) It was insane that is for sure. I'm so glad I didn't close that night, that is all I can say about what that store must have looked like after... Thanks for stopping by my blog i commented back there also :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me Goose.....

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them and will do my best to respond to your comments in a timely fashion.